Home Page: SacramentoL5Society.org
- See our Contact page for more information about members
- Richard Parks, first attendance formerly of the Arizona Chapter.
- Michael – Working on complex simulations and mobile aviation at NASA Ames. Member of SacL5 for13 years.
- Joe – Sacl5 president. Member of SacL5 for over 20 years. Joe’s grandfather invented the synchromesh transmission which was later used by General Motors under questionable ethics.
- Kris – A Space Advocate living in the Mojave Desert and very interested in outreach to children. 24 years in the LA NSS Chapter and now attending Sac L5 meetings.
- Ed – SacL5 Webmaster. Member since 2010 when he went looking for tech people interested in space settlement.
- Ed is also interested in Propellantless Propulsion and made a video to explain The Mach Effect
- Jan – Tech hobbist and space enthusiast helping JP Aerospace build balloons and equipment
- Updates and General Chapter Business
- President’s and Treasurer’s Report (Joe Bland)
- Benevity is a service provided to companies to organize their employee’s matchable charitable giving. Ed works for Apple, Inc. where Apple pays for Ed’s SacL5 volunteer hours. So far, Benevity has paid out about $12,000 of which $4000 has reserved space on JP Aerospace Ballon flights for the SacL5 Mini-Cube Balloon Flight School Grant .
- Joe will move some of the bank account funds into a NASA Credit Union to obtain more interest return
- Update on SacL5 Website Report(Ed Kulis)
- Website Traffic Report – Visit: Total 14,023 with 272 last month
- NSS Chapters Assembly Notes (Jan Roston)
- Prathmesh Barapatre is new president of the Chapter Assembly.
- CA Chapters Resource Subcommittee (Ed Kulis)
- Current Chapter Resource Newsletter https://sacramentol5society.nss.org/nss-chapter-resources/
- Previous Newsletters
- President’s and Treasurer’s Report (Joe Bland)
- JP Aerospace Blog
- Space reserved for a balloon flight of the Student prize. No schedule yet
- Submarine ready for static immersion test.
- Working on the MHD Magneto Hydrodynamic propulsion drive.
- Building the eclipse ascender
- SacL5 High School Student Flight Prize
- This initial prize consists of funding for 3 MiniCubes(750 grams) to fly on a JP Aerospace Balloon Launch as well as a $500 grant to support the build
- This prize will be awarded to the first two schools that confirm acceptance of the RFP that they’ve been sent.
- This is a special prize to initiate the program. Furture awards are planned to consist of only 1 MiniCube.(250 grams)
- Joe visited California School of Engineering and Sciences in Sacramento, CA and there is interest in working on the RFP.
- Ed contacted, the Headmasters Office, the Alumni Office and left information to give to the science teachers when they are available, at Xavier HS, New York, New York to see if there’s interest in competing for the SacL5 Prize
- Will offer $500 donation to the HS to help with the build
- Max flight configurations will be 3 joined mini cubes max mass of 750 grams
- General Discussion
- This book contains a personable description of the achievements by NASA and the astronauts in the Gemini Program – When the Race Was Won by Bart Colomb
- New Horizons Pluto/Kuiper belt Mission Funding in Jeopardy
- Apple’s 3D Headset Vision Pro
- Apple’s Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion 3D Editior are gaining tools to edit 3D videos
- Power from Sun and Shade
- Need a demonstration of the power generation using the differential between sunlit and shadowed regions on the moon
Meeting Details for each Months Meeting
Meeting Call: Sacramento L5 Society, Local Chapter, National Space Society
Where: Virtual presence only, via Zoom
When: Second Saturday, each month
•These meetings are recorded.
•Folks will be asked to briefly share their video, and phone callers asked to identify themselves.
•We use the “waiting room” format. If I keep you waiting, call me and bawl me out! 916-429-6252
Join Zoom meeting:
Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kbdpRGEmNm
Meeting ID: 868 9868 4719
Passcode: Ask Joe Bland email
7482 Greenhaven Drive
Sacramento, CA 95831
- Paul Turner Books
- Quest for Sylvane to buy: Amazon.com Services LLC. To learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFK3R5JK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_4GW4RK0NG26WJWD29GYA
- In the Garden of Mistress Bloom – Awarding winning SciFi Stories
- A debut collection of short sci-fi fiction that explores time and space with mischievous humor.
- JP Aerospace
- Breakfast on the Moon Series
- SacL5 YouTube Breakfast on the Moon Series
- The YouTube channel contains the series of video conferences that SacL5 organized from 2019 through 2023 to celebrate each of the Apollo Lunar Landing Missions.
- A Traveler’s Guide to the Stars” by Les Johnson – Realistic discussions of crewed starship designs / timeframes for a feasible trip to Proxima Centuri in a reasonable amount of time
- “The Sparrow” by Mary Doria Russell – A SciFi novel about the first contact and a a trip to meet singing aliens living near Proxima Centuri. The meeting does not go well.
- The Alice Network – Women Spies in World War 1
- Fly Girls – How Five Daring Women Defied All Odds and Made Aviation History
- Goodnight Moon Base – What if every bedtime was a powerful inspiration for your child’s future?
- Moonfall – Leave your physics back at home but if you like a series of mostly predictable travails to reflect dim light on your popcorn then go for it.
- Start Trek: Strange New Worlds – “Quality of Mercy” – Last episode of Season 1. Rich characters, deep references, thoughtful reflection on what qualities are mercy
- The Orville: New Horizons – Comedy but good
- Star Trek: Discovery – No universe too big to save and of course, need to save all multi-verses through all time…
- Severance – Hmm…, might that enthusiasm for work, plaques, and quarterly pizza parties really be for someone else?